Friday, December 9, 2011

Living in the Flesh.....

Today I woke up praising God. I have been sick the past few days...not the sick I usually get...which is sinuses clogged, runny nose, swollen eyes and glands...nope. This time juuuuuust a sore throat. The ONLY sickness I can NOT have right now. I, along with the rest of the worship arts gang, have prepared for months for the next three days. In these three days hundreds of people will accept Christ as their personal Savior. Many will hear the gospel for the first time. Broken lives will be mended, and miracles will take place. I've seen it happen three years in a row...and each time it blows my mind. So it doesn't surprise me a single bit that the show that (I personally think) is the best we've prepared in my three years of involvement.....would cause Satan to attack me, along with probably 50% of us, vocally. With that said....I PRAISE JESUS....because although I am not completely well, HE is bringing back my voice. The only thing I need this weekend. I WILL sing this weekend...if it means I'm hideous, and tired, and possibly have sick/bad breath (sorry guys :)...) I will rebuke Satan in all his attempts, and Praise the Lord for what He is about to do this weekend. Hallelujah!!

Onto a more touchy subject.....today's devotional:

This one is just coming at you straight....the way I like to tell it.

I absolutely loved this devotional...it gave me the inspiration to let loose on a topic I've always wanted to get real about with people that think otherwise. It starts off with this scripture:

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God. —Romans 8:5-8

So let's get reeeeeeal real. I'll preface with this...we are ALL sinners. We are all born into flesh. We all struggle and suffer from a never ending battle with the enemy. BUT we all have a choice. We have the option of accepting the gift that is the Holy Spirit. Of allowing our lives to be governed NOT by ourselves, but by Christ. If that decision is made....our mind's in turn are governed by a God that want's nothing more than joy for our lives, peace in our hearts, and salvation for our souls beyond this world. Like I said, the struggle with the enemy is never-ending...but our mindset, when governed by the Holy Spirit, is not self-seeking...but is completely for the Lord's will.

So what does this look like? It can look like many things. Here's a possible list:
It could look like:
1.   Health out of sickness
2.   Birth after being told you were barren
3.   Love after death
4.   Financial stability in a time of need
5.   Being alone
6.   Having NO friends
7.   Being chastised, made fun of, imprisoned
8.   Waiting for the right person.....not having sex .....yes, denying this when you already know of it
9.   Missing out on the "fun"
10. Realizing the "fun" is not really "fun"
11. Losing everything
12. Gaining when you thought there was nothing to gain
13. Being angry
14. Doing things that you don't enjoy...that make you lonely, that make you wonder how this is fair
15. Realizing that YOU don't matter, when YOU do only for YOU
16. Watching others "prosper" in the flesh, while you "suffer" in the Spirit
17. Knowing better than that....
18. Having the opportunity for a purpose that you never imagined you'd ever desire
19. Changing lives other than your own
20. Making decisions that are hard.....that don't make YOU happy....
21. Until you realize you've never been happier
22. Letting go of yourself....getting over yourself.....giving UP yourself....and giving IN to Him
23. YOU WON'T WIN.....get over IT.

You all probably could tell this, but that felt good to let out. AGAIN...I don't say these things to imply that I am perfect, above any of this....I say it because I go through it, I constantly fail in ever changing ways....but with the Spirit as my guide, I am able to defeat it...one day at a time. I feel it, I see it, and I'm sick of it. GET over IT. You have the choice, and it's not EASY. It takes work....commitment....pain....suffering. And in the end...you get the most precious gift anyone could ever receive. You get to feel/see/experience/love what God has created for your life. Sometimes it's as simple as allowing someone you don't want to "hear it" from, tell you. Stop denying yourself. It is impossible to understand what this means if you are unwilling to let it happen. God has a plan in store for each and everyone of us. Choosing to live for one's self....choosing to refuse this gift.....and choosing to accept the lie that is within our flesh.....will get you nowhere FAST. "The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing" -John 6:63.........."Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." -1 Peter 5:8

Pray about this. Pray for yourself...for your friends....for your enemies....for your family...for strangers....for your future wife/husband....Prayer works. Ask God to help....He awaits us at all hours, just waiting for the moment we decide to surrender. Pray about it...

"Dear God, I praise You that I am designed to live “in the realm of the Spirit” and that my restless heart can find its rest in You there. Indeed, Your Spirit lives in me. I reject the flesh today so that You can live through me in Your strength. Amen."  -Pete Briscoe





1 comment:

  1. Love this Dana! Can't wait to see the concert tonight!!!
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete