Monday, December 5, 2011

Angel in the waiting room....

Wow....First of all...I can't believe how many people have read, and responded to my blog! This is nuts! So encouraging to see God work in such a simple way...really neat!

On to my post for today....

I started my morning with so many interesting elements. I commute 60 miles to work everyday, and was leaving later than normal for a Dr's appointment. I'm on the road listening to KLOVE and thoroughly enjoying my drive. I heard the song "East to West" by Casting Crowns...which is the song that ministered to me the most when I returned from my first trip to Haiti. I blasted it. It was just a very pleasant drive all around.

I made it into town, and on to my Dr's appt. I still had a bit of time to kill, so I cracked open my Bible and began one of my daily devotionals in the parking lot of the Dr's office. This one was titled "Stop Waiting For Perfect Conditions" with the scripture Hebrews 11:1..."Faith is being sure of what we hope for." It discussed DOING, GOING, ACTING...rather than sitting, watching, and complaining about how now is not the right time for one reason or another. I won't quote the whole thing, but it was an encouraging read about having Faith and following your dreams, to be concise. As a dreamer, I always appreciate these encouragements.

So....I went in to my appointment. For a little bit of background, I have had some health issues this year, and go to a few check-ups as a precautionary routine. I went through my check-up, and was sent across the street to get lab work done. I walk in the waiting room....and it's packed. I am the youngest person in the room, and without an appt. The wait began. I looked around the room observing everyone around me. Mostly elderly men, racing to the desk every few minutes to make sure their name wasn't called and they didn't hear it. I started to feel a little down. Started feeling bad for myself, allowing thoughts to run through my head as to why I am in the position I am in, why I am needing blood work, and all the things I have done wrong in my life.....it was just one of those "pity party" moments....where you allow Satan to bring your past around to bring you down. I recognized this, but had a hard time getting out of the funk for some reason.

There was a young man around my age to the left of me, and a woman in her 60's on the right. Next to this woman was an 81 yr old woman named Elsie, accompanied by her son David. The second Elsie sat down, the party began. She had us all in a conversation, laughing our guts out. She told us how much she hates California...to quote her..."There aint nothin goin on around here!" She's from New York, and was relocated by her son, in order to keep a watch on her health. Anyway, she told us many stories and cracked a ton of jokes. Every single one followed by something she was thankful for. She told us all that she thanks God every morning she wakes up. She thanks Him for her life, for her eye-sight, and that He has a purpose for her that day. It was such a blessing to be able to laugh with her and the other 3....

The man and woman on my sides shook our hands as they were called into their appts. It was just Elsie, David, and myself left. We laughed a little about random stuff, and then she turned straight to me and said "When is your birthday?" I told her, and was a little confused as to why she asked me that. Then she turns to me and says...."You are a strong woman. You are going to do big things. God has a plan to use you, and don't you let ANYONE tell you not to do it. You will help people....you love to help people, and you are going to change their lives. People are gonna try and stop you, but you're gonna keep on because you are strong. You are different than others, you gotta do what God is telling you to do. You will do it." I sat in awe for a second. At first I thought...is this some astrological thing?...but after talking to her the rest of the time, I learned how much she loves the Lord, and how strongly she believes in His will for us all. I just smiled the rest of the time. She also told me about the young man that was next to me. She said "He is a sweet man. He doesn't like to be confined. He likes to be free, outside, with lots of room, he needs to have space. He likes to do nice things for others, and makes people happy." I asked her how she knew this, and she said..."just watch." When he came out of his appt, she asked him his birthday...it is December 13. She told him everything she told me, and he stood in shock. He said....ummm yea, exactly, what the heck. We all just smiled and exchanged names and goodbyes. After my appointment, I told her she was a blessing. That I was so thankful to have met her, and that she truly brightened my day...and I truly meant it.

The best part of this whole meeting was that her son let on to me that she was not well, so I dug a little deeper. She told me that two weeks ago she had a small stroke, and was pronounced dead for about 10 minutes. She came back to life, and although she is on medication and has routine blood work, she is fine. I could see this in her spirit alone. I myself was tired from the amount of laughter we shared....if I had just suffered a stroke, I probably would have keeled over after those laughs. She told me that she feels alive, and is so SURE that God has a purpose for her each and every day. She said "I feel good. I feel risen. I feel like we all have a reason, and we need to let God use us and our gifts." Then she reiterated my purpose. It was so neat.

I left that office so joyful. Here I was sitting, allowing myself to feel down about a past I had forgiven, that God has forgiven....when in my presence I had an Angel telling me of my future. Reassuring me of what God has already revealed to me in so many ways. She had some reason for telling me all of this, and I am so thankful that she did.

One of the first things she randomly quoted to us when she sat down was this:

"You all have got to forgive people. Forgive yourselves. You aint perfect. God forgives us 70 times 7 times. You got to forgive and move on, and do right."

............Elsie was an Angel in my eyes today :)

P.S. When I got into work I had an email waiting with a devotional a friend needed to share with me immediately. The last line of it read this: "So, it is time for us to put the love of Christ in us....into action........be His hand extended and love the least of these. Lord, help us put into action Your love for a world in need. We love You today. AMEN!"



2 comments:

  1. Love this, I am so glad you had some persuading to continue posting on your blog :)

    With 1 heart,
    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Reminds me of how in the haf book mark talks about the angel lady...
    Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete